Sciatic nerve pain and back pain are very common health problems of millions of people all around the world. The medical statistic shows that 8 out of 10 Americans struggle with back pain, and it is the main cause of painkiller addiction in the USA.
The lower back pain is usually caused days or even weeks before the first symptoms, so it makes a problem for sufferers to identify the real cause of this issue. It can be a result of distractions while performing physical tasks, fatigue, sex, alcohol consumption, etc.
Among the people, the most common causes of chronic back pain are sports injuries or accidents but can be also inactivity, obesity, and poor posture. In most cases, the back pain resolves on its own about a month, but the recovery can be always accelerated.
When the back pain appears, it is recommended to relax and apply ice on the painful area. The acupuncture or chiropractic care are also recommended, as well as some anti-inflammatory herbs like Boswellia, ginger, and curcumin. Many times individuals can try to address their emotions, in order to stimulate the innate capacity of the body to heal itself, as their brain remembers any pain that lasts longer (more than a couple of minutes).
Sciatic nerve pain occurs when your sciatic nerve gets pinched in your lower back. It can be drastically relieved by stretching, by performing stretches like:
– Pigeon Pose
– Piriformis stretch
– Seated hip stretch
– Self-trigger point therapy, which is based on using a tennis ball or foam roller.
Using a tennis ball has become very popular recently, which is a proven way of relieving the symptoms of this painful condition.
Videos: How to treat Sciatic Pain –
According to Health Ambition tennis ball therapy incorporates the benefits of massage, acupressure, and reflexology. They explain that using the tennis ball tactic can help to relieve muscle tension and soothe sore muscles.
Thanks to the weight of the body on the small tennis ball it directly pinpoints certain sections of your muscles, as it presses into these pain point. The pressure on this point causes the muscle to relax and release, but be aware that it’ll be slightly painful.
Aside from the pain relief, the advantages of the tennis ball therapy, are that it’s inexpensive, easy to perform and can be done at your own home.”
Here are a Complete Guidelines, which explains all the steps. Follow the steps below:
– 1st step: – Lying down, find the painful spot in the glutes.
– 2nd step: – Place the tennis ball at the affected location.
– 3rd step: – Roll up and down your body or relax on the ball.
The treatment with the tennis ball:
– Pressing treats trigger points in the piriformis muscle
– Reduces the muscle tension and rigidity
– Improves mobility
– Improves blood circulation to the area.
The time of holding this position should be for 30-60 seconds or until a significant reduction in pain are reduced. Then, the ball is replacing to the next painful spot. Complete treatment lasts between 5-10 minutes.
Here are various alternative treatments that are helpful in relieving of sciatica:
– Yoga – is effective in a very short time
– Firm pressure to points on the piriformis, glutes, and lower back muscles
– At least three times a week – Chiropractic care,
– Topical use of anti-inflammatory oils and liniments
– Pilates exercises, which lower the risk of injuries, improve body balance, and soothe the pain
Preventing Back Pain
It is much easier preventing the back pain than treating it. Avoiding sitting for longer than an hour can prevent the pain in many body areas.
Tips that ensure a pain-free life:
– Exercise at least twice a week, which will strengthen the muscles of the spine, and boost your flexibility and balance. Try foundation training exercises and yoga.
– Keep a proper posture, avoid sitting down for hours
– Try training, as a way to relieve pain in the body and fight inflammation
– Consume plenty of water daily
– Balance the levels of vitamin D and K2
– Pay attention to the sleep position and sleep well
– Stretch before going to bed
– Mind-body techniques to address psychological factors and fight stress
– K-Laser treatment
– Avoid smoking in order to improve the blood flow to the lower spine and promoting the degeneration of the spinal disks